2012년 3월 1일 목요일

Korean Snacks (Part 1)

Korean Snacks (Part 1):

Whenever I’m with Jimmy and we’d pass by a Korean grocery store, we absolutely cannot not buy some snacks and drinks. It’s really a delight to see his face brighten up when he’d see his favorite snacks that reminded him of his childhood or homeland. So I thought I’d feature (and review) some Korean snacks here on my blog because why the hell not, right? I plan to make this a regular series (even feature drinks and ice cream, etc) so please show your love! ^^;;


Korean-snacks


Korean snacks! FTW!


1. 고구마깡 Gogu Makkang


Korean-snacks-05


Gogu makkang literally translates to “sweet potato stick”. It’s quite a popular snack from 농심 Nong Shim and is distributed all over the world. Jimmy right away grabbed one soon as he saw it for the first time in the store and so I thought, hmmm… it’s probably really good! And then he translated the name and I was like… “SWEET POTATO SNACK??? Like a camote que chirchirya?! What?!


Korean-snacks-11


Looks more like French fries though!


Korean-snacks-06


It’s basically made of sweet potato, wheat flour, sugar, rice bran oil, and other ingredients that make up junk food and is sprinkled with black sesame seeds. It also does not have MSG or trans fat, which is amazing. To be honest, I cannot rave about this snack because to me, it’s like… just okay. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good but I feel like it needs more oomph, more sweet potato flavor. However, it has a great consistency – light and airy and even if I’m not the biggest fan of the snack, I just cannot help munching on it until I finish the pack! It has that power. LOL.


Score: 7/10


2. 바나나킥 Banana Kick


Korean-snacks-03


“Tastes like real banana!”, says on the cover. This is another snack from Nong Shim and yet again, Jimmy was raving over it when he showed it to me for the first time. Again, my reaction… “BANANA? JUNKFOOD?” and then I just stfu when I remembered that we have lumpia-inspired snacks.


Korean-snacks-12


Cute is the best adjective to describe Banana Kick. Cute like a baby koala.


Korean-snacks-04


Seriously? I love Banana Kick! It may look like jumbo Chiz Curls but it does not have that icky oily residue and yes, the whole banana flavor thing works! Not too little and not too strong… Jimmy also said that it’s a fave among babies and toddlers and so I thought it’s probably Korea’s version of Marie (you’re not Pinoy if you dunno what Marie is). It’s too wimp-y for watching movies though.


Score: 8.5/10


3. 꼬깔콘 Kkokkal Kon


Korean-snacks-01


Literally translates to “corn cones”, Kkokkal Kon is from 롯데 Lotte and according to the cashier guy from the Korean supermarket, is the best-selling snack in their store. It’s supposed to be a corn snack but has 해바라기 or sunflower written on the front so it probably has sunflower essence? Beats me!


Korean-snacks-10


Does this look familiar to you? *insert evil grin here*


Korean-snacks-02


I have no idea which came first, this or Granny Goose’s Kornets but I definitely grew up eating the latter. I used to stick Kornets on the ends of my fingers and pretend they’re witch’s nails before eating them. Hahaha! To be honest, I’d choose Kornets over Kkokal Kon any day. The Korean version needs MORE flavor. A lot more. I feel like it has no heart and soul. Whether Kornets has more salt or MSG or other chemicals is none of my concerns. Corn cones are probably healthier but if you’re a health buff, you won’t be eating junk food, right? I don’t watch my snacks bland, sorry.


Score: 5/10


4. 해바라기 초코볼 Sunflower Choco Ball


Korean-snacks-07


This super awesome snack from Lotte are basically sunflower seeds covered with chocolate and a whole lot of love. Unlike the other snacks on our list, I wouldn’t exactly consider this “junk food”, unless you consider watermelon seed junk food (and I LOVE watermelon seed)!


Korean-snacks-09


They’re as small as uncooked beans!


Korean-snacks-08

When I saw this on the counter of the grocery for the first time, I was overcome by curiosity so I bought it right away without any expectations and OMG was I glad that I did! Whoever came up with this snack is a genius! Have you any idea how hard it is to crack open sunflower and watermelon seeds? Not only are the sunflower seeds shell-free, THEY ARE COVERED WITH GLORIOUS CHOCOLATE!!! Do I love Sunflower Choco Ball? You bet I do!


Score: 10/10


In the course of me writing this blog, I pretty much have finished all those four snacks. Hahaha! Oh, and feel free leave a comment and just tell me which snack you’d lick to try! I’m giving away one of each snack!


More Korean snacks to be featured next time! Hope you guys like this and feel free to share your thoughts about these~


Please don’t forget to follow us on Twitter: Kring, My Korean Boyfriend, Jimmy Kim

And “like” us on Facebook: Kring Elenzano / The Krimmy Couple / C.N.A. Philippines

Subscribe to my YouTube account: FunnySexy


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기